Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Money Spent

For the past week or so I have been keeping a daily tab on the thing that I have purchased. This assignment has helped me realized two things, I spend way too much money and I spend money on some weird and often unnecessary things.

The items in which I spent my hard earned money on range from an over priced three dollar notebook that was needed for an online class, to a $9.95 bottle of Seagram’s Gin. I used these two products as example for the simple fact one item, the overpriced notebook, is a need because it was required for the class, on the flipside the bottle of gin was a want because I could have certainly went on with out it. Another reason for using these two product as example outside of the needs and wants category that they fall under, was the fact that the two products were extremely opposite of one another in a sense one was school related and the other was adult entertainment related. It seemed like everything else such as, food, clothing, flowers, etc... fell in between the two products previously mentioned.

The “Needs” category had your typical everyday items. These items were bottles of water, body wash, my over priced notebook, books for my classes and a couple pair of underwear, boxers if anyone wants to know. I don’t know if it counts but I spent a lot of money on bills. A few bills that I would include in my “Needs” category would be rent, power/gas bill, some may argue against me on this one, but I would consider it a need for me and that’s my cell phone bill.

My “Wants” category may be very unique to several others for the fact I’m simply a weird individual. This section featured items such as, a Sony Playstation 2, a couple pair of jeans, a nice Los Angeles Dodger fitted baseball cap, lots of eating out at different restaurants, a bottle of gin, and last but not least some chewing gum. A few might wonder why I chose to put eating at a restaurant in this section and I admit it was a little confusion on my part on whether this would be a need or a want. I came to conclusion that because I chose to go out and eat rather than eat the food at home that was already purchase, this would be consider a want instead of a need.

As previous stated this assignment help me understand my weird and unique spending habits. I think I spend way too much money on unnecessary things. For example I ate out three times last week and the total amount for all three meals came out to $132.33. I spent this amount, when I had groceries at home and it would have been a lot cheaper to simply shift into Dray-boyar-d and throw something together in the kitchen. But this say something about me as an individual, I would rather spend money and have somebody else put something together for me rather than me actually making something. I think my preference of going out to eat also has to do with a mixture of being a college student and pop culture. I’m easily influence to go out to a restaurant and eat with a group of friends and have a good time. Being a college student, I attend classes all day long and it’s much easier for me to simply go out to eat and swipe my card when I’m done.

No comments: