After the long discussion and the bad reviews this show received amongst my classmates I figured it would be best to experiences the Shot of Love show for myself. The second reality show I watched was Snoop Doggs Fatherhood.
I am not a big fan of reality television. Yes they are entertaining but personally I think there as fake as can be. To have a camera man follow these celebs around every minute of the day is sort of believable, but the way these celebs act is simply unbelievable and often times the acting from the celebs seems scripted.
As explained in class, this Shot of Love show is truly a train wreck. The show is centered on a bi-sexual woman who dates both men and women in efforts of finding true love. The episode I had a chance to view was the beginning of the new season and wasn’t as bad because it was simply meet and greet amongst Tela and the contestants. My disinterest over the show comes from the highlights that were shown of the previous season. To me the first problem with this show is the theme of it. How is an individual who doesn’t know what they want, male or female, going to find love? This is one confused individual, yet people still tune in and are entertained by it. As Fiske writes, individuals find pleasure while others experience embarrassing acts.
This would be a perfect example for Bakhtin to uses for his carnival theory. I honestly can say there was nothing tasteful about this show. I think its offensive to individuals who are bisexual. First, who knows for a fact that Tela is even a bisexual individual in real life? Secondly, how does an individual find love by putting other individuals through competitions, what is true love? Bakhtin talks about this carnival world allowing one to have creative and playful freedom. The show allows Tela to have the creative freedom yet at the same time she is playing with the values and moralities of others by trying to find love in this way. By understanding that love is typically not going to be determined on a competition, this show allows viewers to step inside this carnival world and think what if. What if it was possible to find true love by having both male and females compete over you in ridiculous events?
The second reality show I watched was Fatherhood. This is a show involving famous rapper, Snoop Dogg and his family. The camera men follows Snoop and his family around throughout the day. The purpose of the reality show is simply an illustration of how Snoop balances being a father to his three children and continuing his super stardom.
The show isn’t as bad as the one talked about earlier but it still bugs me a bit. The problem I have with the show is that it’s not reality television. The horrible acting provides reasoning that this show is scripted. The writers or producers of the show place Snoop in his family in situations that are not very serious, yet seems to be important to the family. For example, the show I watched featured snoop and his family going to London for a concert that he was schedule to perform. As the family get over there they are unsatisfied with the food so Snoop decides to calls a friend in need of help. Throughout the show the family is starting to fall apart and become angered towards each other because they can’t have their typical fried chicken. There is no social order in this at all. I don’t think I ever heard of any family becoming upset with each other over chicken, yet people find laughter in this. A family usually represents a strong bond amongst all individuals, and I don’t think getting upset over not having a certain type of chicken classifies as a strong bond.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment