For this assignment I thought it would be best to interview my father and my grandfather. I figured it would be best to interview my mother’s father because interviewing my father and his father may provide some similarities given that the two lived in the same household for plenty of years and shared similar likes and beliefs.
My grandfather was a little hesitant to sit down and talk about things that were popular back in the good old days. He felt as if I wouldn’t understand or appreciate what was popular to him when he was my age. After explaining my reasoning for the sit down conversation he was more willingly to open up. The first thing we talked about was sports. I figured he’d open up and talk about sports for the simple fact that it was a common ground that we shared. He had always been a big fan of baseball. My grandfather explained that the game has changed over the years. In his day it was a game that the local kids would play in the streets just to past time and nowadays people actually try to make a living out of it. The next subject we touched on was music. Often times my grandfather is a very understanding man but for some odd reason he just couldn’t understand the music in which I listen to. He talked about how back in his day; music had a story behind it that everyone could relate to. The popular artist was Frank Sentara and everyone loved Frank, according to Gramps. As far as clothing, he explained there really wasn’t any difference in the way people dressed, well except for church days. The common dress was simply a pair of jeans and a v-neck t-shirt. Everything seemed good and peaceful back than.
My father on the other hand was excited to talk about popular things in his day and age. I think the excitement steamed from his how easy living was in his day compared to how living is today. The way Pops explains thing about the late 50th early 60th you would think it was heaven back than. Pops has always had an eye for fashion so it would make sense that clothing was the first thing in which he wanted to talk about. According to Pops, actors in films dictated what was in and what was out. Everyone wanted to dress like their favorite actors. It was big to wear the suits that James Bond sported. As far as music, Pops felt that there wasn’t any better music than the music of this decade. Personally I agree with him given that majority of the music that is made today is sampled from the music of the past era. We talked about cars and he explained that everyone had to have a Chevy. Chevys were the muscle cars back than and it showed ones power by driving one.
As time goes by we establish our own form of popular culture. After talking with my grandfather and father I think its safe for me to say, what is popular to me, defiantly won’t be popular to my son once he becomes my age. In the book they talk about how we determine pop-culture and where does it come from. Personally I think it’s a common ground between both people in power and people below. Some may not agree, but I think things become popular when kids of are generation, rich or poor, have an interests in the same thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment