The internet is a very dangerous tool. I say this because things appear throughout the internet can be very deceiving and misunderstanding. I have had several incidents in which my words or a photo was misunderstood by someone. Although there have been several issues in which the internet has made me out to be a bad guy, the one that sticks out like a sore thumb would have to be one in which I almost lost my girlfriend.
Back in the good old high school days I was in this lovely dovey relationship for three years. It was your typical high school relationship in which everything was perfect and my soul mate had been found. The relationship was perfect till the internet came through to the Drayton household. I created an instant message screen name on A.O.L. so that I would save my parents some money by not sitting on the phone all day running my mouth. Instant message was huge at the time everyone had a screen name. Instead of exchanging phone numbers we simply exchanged screen names. Well everything was cool till some of my conversations were read by the girlfriend.
The conversations were between me and my best friend that happen to be a young lady by the name of Kelly. Kelly and I had grown up together but attended different high schools. We talked frequently on aim and often told each other how are day went and plans that we had for the weekend. It was nothing more than friendly chit chat amongst us. Well, at least that’s what I thought. Things got out of hand when my girlfriend came to the house and read one of the conversations that had occurred between myself and Kelly. The conversation ended with two three word phrases, “I love you” and “I miss you.” These two phrases were all the fuel my girlfriend needed to ignite her fire. We argued for days about this conversation. It was difficult to convince her that these were words spoken by a best friend and they weren’t intended to be relationship phrases.
After all the fighting and arguing I thought it would be best if I had my girlfriend and best friend talk to one another. This was the best thing to do to resolve this issue. The two talked and Kelly explained that to my girlfriend that she meant no wrong when she ended the conversation with her two phrases. It was simply a friendship thing between the two of us and nothing more.
When the conversation was over my girlfriend did the unthinkable, she was had apologize to me for over reacting about the whole situation. Her and Kelly became good friends and kept ion contact throughout the years. In fact, Kelly introduced my ex girlfriend to her new boyfriend, how ironic is this.
To sum this up, this whole conversation would have defiantly been different if it had taken place face to face rather than online. The two phrases that Kelly used would have had non verbal cues that would’ve communicated a strong friendship between the two of us. The conversation would have featured a little friendly punch to the shoulder or a pat on the head, something friends would do.

1 comment:
Good relationship gone DJ? Why does AOL seem ancient Dre? Are we that old already? Anyways that’s funny now we have the facebook drama rather than the AOL drama. Didn't you ever use the double screen name strategy? One of the names for your normal conversations that all your friends knew and the other secret screen name for messing with people and your private conversations. I'm just kidding it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong or you were trying to hide anything. You make a good point about the fact that non verbal cues not being present in online communication can cause misunderstanding and confusion.
Alan
Post a Comment