Tuesday, March 11, 2008

As I did a little research on internet miscues, I found out that there was a lot more than what I expected. I chose to write my blog on an event that dealt with the solicitation of children via internet. I was really unaware of how much of this goes on. I’ve heard stories of this occurring but I never knew how high the numbers were for this crime. The article was about an FBI posing as a thirteen year old girl on the internet. The article talks about the numerous busts of predators that this agent catches.

The purpose of this article is to inform parents about this crime and a way to preventing it. Net Nanny is software that was created by the company Net Nanny International Inc., to help prevent and provide an awareness of these events of what may be occurring with their children. The Net Nanny provides a parental control device in which the parent is fully aware of what is being said during internet conversations. The Net Nanny has an instant scanner to scan words or phrases that are sent and received by all members of the conversation. The scanner focuses on words or phrases that could possibly harmful or leading to an unexpected event. Examples of these words and phrases include; names, telephone, swear words, credit card numbers, addresses, and sexual and/or violent terms, invitations to communicate by "phone" or to "meet" in physical locations.

The program was created after a 1994 case involving the solicitation of a minor in a chat room that took place in Florida. With the wide vary of different chat rooms and instant message programs out there; NET Nanny felt that this program would offer the best solution to stop these acts of solicitation of children by these predators. Net Nanny felt by giving the parents total access to their children’s conversation they can be aware of what is being talked about. While the conversation is going and the parent doesn’t like how the conversation is going, they can simply terminate the conversation. After the conversation is terminated it is up to the parent to re-establish the network connection for the children trying to access the internet. According to this report, Net Nanny feels that by giving the parent total control they can have the last say of what’s tolerant for their child and what’s not.

I think this is a great solution to catch these online predators. This program allows parents to be in total control at all times. This can potentially help avoid situation before they a rise. I think if my parents would have installed something like this on my computer when I was younger I would have been upset thinking more about my privacy instead of my safety. As a parent, I understand that safety is important and I would do everything possible to keep my child out of any kind of danger. The Net Nanny program allows internet conversations to be monitored and children can be much safer.

2 comments:

AC said...

Wow, I have never heard of the Net Nanny. I think that it is a great idea though, I mean what parent wouldn't want to know that their children are safe and avoiding the dangers that exist on the internet. It is nice to know that money is actually being spent on developing ways to fight the problems that are increasing through the wide spread use technology. How much did this program cost? Nice insightful post!

reese_lu said...

I had no idea that there was a program like this, but I think its a good idea. I wonder if it only censors chat rooms or social networking sites as well? I wish my parents would get that because I've discovered some stuff on my brother's Myspace lately that isn't exactly good, and now I feel like I have to talk to him about it rather than my parents. That's great though that there's a tool out there for parents to monitor their children's safety.