Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Facebook

I can admit I am a proud user of Facebook. I’ve had a Facebook account for about two years now. About two years ago Facebook was something that most college students had so I felt left out being the only one in the group without it. It took me awhile to create an account with Facebook because I had always told myself I would never get one because it was too much information being revealed about oneself. After talking it over with friends and discussing the privacy settings on Facebook, I decided to sign up for one.

After giving into the Facebook movement, it was now time to personalize it by putting information up and letting people now who the real Daniel Drayton was. I kept it real simple and basic. Of course I put my name up what network I was working out of, high school education, birthday and my instant message screen name. I have seen numerous of accounts in which people put addresses, phone numbers and other unnecessary things up on their accounts. In my opinion I think some information such as phone numbers and address should be left out of an account. Although people may argue that a phone number can be the same as a screen name, I beg the differ. Screen names are communicational instruments that only pick up messages when someone is online.

Next up was the picture section. This is the section that truly lets others know who you really are. I started out by posting pictures of myself playing football, having a good time with friends and pictures of my son. These pictures that I initially posted signified who I was. I tried to stay away from the pictures that would reveal too much. Pictures that reveal too much are those pictures that are taking at the bars and other places with similar settings. There’s nothing wrong with posing for a picture at the bars, there is a problem when the picture that is taken at the bar is unexpected. The unexpected pictures can create a false image of someone. Sometimes it feels like the paparazzi snapping away in bars and in clubs.

The good things that Facebook offers are the privacy settings. This allows someone to block out others, untag pictures they don’t feel comfortable with being up and keep certain information away from certain people. These privacy settings are defiantly needed on Facebook because too much information can be raveled. The privacy settings allow the owner of the account to be in control at all times.

I think the information that is put up on Facebook differs from one person to another. People have different reasoning and purpose for using Facebook. My reasoning for having a Facebook account is to communicate with my fellow students and friends in which I grew up with. These are my personal reasoning but some people have other reasons for using Facebook. There are some people who are looking for a relationship through Facebook. I’ve even heard story of people looking for jobs on Facebook.

I think Facebook and MySpace are great communicational online instruments depending on how there used. They can be used in a good way yet they can also be misused and someone’s life can potentially be in danger.

4 comments:

bdavis said...

I like your blog about Facebook and Myspace. I feel the same way about the security of Facebook, i'm glad that you can have a page be private and no that not just anybody will be roaming on your page because they have to be your friend to even look at your page.
I can't believe that people would really be on Facebook or Myspace trying to find an job or even a relationship, I feel like that is the desperate way to go and it's said that this is ohow are society is now, that you have to look for love on line.

Adizzle43 said...

I can relate to what you’re saying about the facebook "movement". I think that is a perfect way of putting it. If you don't have a facebook page it is like you are almost completely cut off form the social society of college students, especially on your campus. If you meet a girl when you are out on the weekends and she is interested in learning more about the kind of guy you are it's almost like if you don't have a facebook page you can't be trusted or that you are hiding something. I don’t get it my friend?

K.V. said...

It's good that you have the privacy settings. But what stops someone in your group from sharing your information with others not in the group. I understand that there is a chance with that happening without facebook but it could happen much faster because people have easy access.
And how can you be cut off from social society if you see most of the people at school anyway?

AC said...

Nice post! I agree, Facebook and MySpace are great communicational online instruments but only if used properly. I also think that too much information is often revealed on profiles. I couldn't believe the first time I saw a person page that listed their address and phone number. This is something that I find rediculous. I mean, to me that is private information that shouldn't be just given out to anyone. The world is a dangerous place and we must take that into account. It is no longer safe to give out this type of information to just anyone. Nice jod! Alex