Access to the internet is a must have for me. Going without the internet for a whole 24 hours was simply torcher. I’m one of those of those students who carry my laptop with me wherever I go just to have access to the internet. After reading the prompt regarding life without internet I knew for a fact this was going to be tough for me. It was even worst because I recently picked up this new gadget that allows you to pick up a signal wherever you are. The internet allows me to check my emails, check sports scores, shop, listen to music and read up on current events going on in the world. The most important thing that the web allows me to do is attend class. I am currently taking two online classes in which I really needed access to the web.
I started my 24 hours of torcher on Thursday but it didn’t last that long as Dr. Goodnow puts it, I fell off the wagon. I fell off the wagon not because the urge to surf the web but because I had an important question relating to this class. Now the question might be asked “Well Mr. Drayton, why didn’t you call?” my answer is simple I did call but no response. So I gave in and emailed Dr. Goodnow and what’d you know I got a response. I was happy I received an email back from Dr. Goodnow and got some clarity but in the back my head I can only think about another day I would have to spend without the internet.
As I woke up Friday I thought of several things in which I can do to keep myself occupied so that computer usage would the last thing on my mind. I thought about staying in bed all day and leaving my computer in the living room, but that wouldn’t have worked. Next I thought about leaving my computer in the locker room and going down to Eugene with my girlfriend, but that too was a bad idea with gas prices raising the way they are these days. Then it hit me, maybe I should just leave my computer at the house and go venture out and explore the town. After I came up with this idea I immediately took a quick power nap to kill time. When I woke up my journey be gained. I started out by going over to the boys and girls club and spending a few hours there just hangout with the kids. After that it was off to the Dixon recreation center to play some intense basketball for another few hours. After Dixon it was off to the house to shower and prepare my night life with some adult social activities at the bar. I came home from the bar and went to sleep. I woke up the next morning with a smile on my face knowing that I did it; I went a whole 24 hours without the internet.
After going a day without the internet I can honestly say two things. One, I am an addict to internet usage and two; I hope I never have to do this again. As Postman writes about in the Judgment of Thamus, technology is taking over peoples lives. We now can do anything with the technology we have today. I had a tough time going without the internet for one day yet people for many years and some still today had to or is currently going without the web and are perfectly fine doing it. I think that’s what Postman was referring to when he talked about the children who were considered winners or losers based on their ability to use a computer rather then writing something out.
The internet allows me to communicate in many different ways whether it is email, instant message, facebook or a class assignment. The ironic thing about my falling off the wagon was the fact it was related to this class. I attempted to do the old fashion thing and call the office yet no one answered and I can understand that part about being a professor and being busy, but when an email was sent out a response was sent back to me. This is a way in which technology has provided more ways to help us communicate with each other.
The internet is very beneficial to me and the way I live my life. It allows me to explore things in life that I simply wouldn’t have without it. I know I can always go to an actual class but sometimes I like to take classes online to have a change up and the internet allows me to take advantage of this opportunity. The internet has come along way and many people incorporate in their everyday life and personally for me when it was taking away I had to really sit down and think what was I going to do and how I was going to spend my day without it.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I agree that not being able to use the internet can affect your ability to communicate but I must say that I am surprised that a person would carry their laptop around with them at all times. But it sounds like you derive quite a bit of pleasure from using the internet and maybe after living on line this term while taking my 12 units I will develop a new appreciation for the web. Take care Daniel.
Post a Comment