The growth of technology has made it easy for people to communicate with others. There are several ways in which individuals can communicate using technology. Cellular phones, email, instant message, pagers and last but not least there’s the good old land phone.
For this assignment, which happens to be my favorite, I was required to write a letter of appreciation to two different individuals. One letter had to be handwritten and the other had to be sent via email. My initial thought was the letter sent via email would have a quicker response than the handwritten letter. I figured email is easily to access and respond to compared to handwritten letters.
The two lucky recipients of these letters were my lovely parents. My pops is getting old and has trouble using the internet and checking his emails. My mother is getting younger and younger and is up to game with the latest technology. I thought it would be a fun challenge to both of them if I sent the handwritten letter to my mother and emailed the other letter to my father. My strategy was to have both individuals step outside their comfort zone and see which parent responded sooner.
As I sat down and wrote the letter to my mother, I began to get a weird feeling. I love my mom and all that good stuff, but it was weird writing her a letter. When I think of hand written letters I typically think of my high school sweet heart and I exchanging these three page letters to one another expressing are love for each other not thanking my mom for being the best mom in the world. I put my weird feelings aside and put the pen to the pad. I wrote my letter out to her and expressed how much appreciated her for all the things that she have done throughout my life.
My next victim was pops. I sent the old man an email similar to the one I sent my mother. While writing this email I became a little bit nervous. Nervous because my dad is too manly at times and I didn’t want to come off as this little softy. The letter required me to think a little bit. I had to think about what words to use so that I wouldn’t appear to be too sentimental. It was a very challenging task.
The first response was in and it was my mother. Either my father doesn’t love me or he is truly computer illiterate because I have yet to receive a response from him at all. The no response from my father steams from his culture not being to dependant on technology.
I think technology has given us an easier way of communicating. I think people look for easy ways of doing things and emailing an individual oppose to writing an individual is easier. It’s less time consuming to write an email because you aren’t in titled to run the letter down to the post office and wait for it to get shipped out. This is what our culture is built around, quick pace and easy.

No comments:
Post a Comment