Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My New Family

First I must start off by admitting I am a sports addict. I love sports and personally I don’t know what the world would be with out it. I decided to join the Rivals.com family for this assignment. It costs me an arm and a leg for the yearly subscription so I will be looking for my reimbursement from Dr. Goodnow at the end of this term. Now back to this Rivals thing, if you’re a sports fan Rivals.com is for you. It features stories relating to athletes from prep schools through the professional rankings. This cite always had the latest updates and breaking news throughout the sporting world. I’ve been a reader for a couple of months and I decided that it was time to indeed take the next step and become a member of the Rivals.com family.
Being a member of this cite allows you to have access to the discussion boards in which you can post your own opinions and belief on different issues that have occurred in the sporting world. The great thing about this discussion board is opinions that you are written by people all over the nation. Rivals.com discussion board allows you to read and response to people all over the nation. I think it’s a great thing because it allows someone on the west coast to get an understanding of how people on the east coast view sports and vice versa. It builds a strong family and there is tons of disagreement with one another on these message boards which leads to great conversations.
For me, it was easy to assimilate into a group because my knowledge of sports. I was able to jump into many conversations and voice my opinion in the early stages. Some of my opinions and views were strongly accepted and some weren’t, some of my views were even laughed at. It was hard for me to feel accepted in the first couple of days because these members had been writing on this cite for years and I was the new booty of the family throwing out these bold comment s. Although some of my opinions were accepted I still didn’t feel accepted. I felt that they were agreeing because it was obvious that I had the right answer it just happened to be that I was the first one to respond to the blog and everyone else simply agreed with my post. The day that I truly felt accepted is when I challenged one of the guys who had been around for years and was well respected by many of the members throughout the cite. The discussion was about the best player in the NBA. He felt that LeBron James was indeed the man on top of the league. Personally, I felt the title belong to a follower by the name of Kobe Bryant but I wasn’t going to sit around and try and prove my point by bringing up different stats and awards won by both because it would be a waste of time and the conversation would have never come to any kind of agreement. Instead, I went another rout with my argument. I stated that there was no best player in the league and argued that any player can be replaced and because there is a strong number of players that have showed and proven to be great talents we as fans can not possibly single out and appoint one individual to be the best player in the league. Honestly after writing that I felt that it wouldn’t get approved or accepted by others and they would respond and think I was some crazy little kid. Later on that day I checked my email and I found a couple of emails from guys on the message board applauding me for my comment and the way I viewed the situation. This is the day I felt accepted.

2 comments:

Adizzle43 said...

Daniel,
Kobe? Come on! Anyway I like your post because I am also a big sports fan and I joined the Raider Nation Boardroom. I like the fact that in a sports related online community there is a wide variety of opinions and thoughts and I found that the disagreements sparked the best discussions. Even though they would usually go unresolved because nobody wanted to back down, it was still much more amusing then a simple agreement. I think that the disagreements in my community helped me assimilate better into my group much like your situation. It is funny now that I think about it because in a group of friends arguments are usually not the best way to make new friends, but it worked in my online community.
Good Post!
Alan

Suzziq said...

so glad that I could open your eyes to the wonder that is Blocksavvy! I really love it... I totally know what you mean about the fashion lag time in Corvallis compared to California. Corvallis is a pretty terrible place if you love urban life: fashion, hiphop, clubs, nightlife of anykind really. If you decide to join Blocksavvy you should send me the link to your spot :) we can be neighbors!!